The school was established in 1940 at The Cross in Repton with just eight boys, and then in 1942 it moved to Latham House. By the end of the War there were over 100 boys in the prep school, and the school moved to Foremarke Hall, some 2 miles from Repton Senior School, renting the building from the Church Commissioners.
The first Headmaster of Repton Preparatory School was B W Thomas (1940-47); he reverted to being housemaster of Latham House when the school moved to Foremarke, where K L T Jackson became Headmaster until 1960 to be followed by T Davies from 1960-1985. In September 1985 he was succeeded by R C Theobald who retired in July 2000. Paul Brewster was then appointed and stayed at Foremarke until July 2007. Since Paul Brewster, Paddy Watson and now Richard Merriman have been appointed Headmaster, Richard Merriman joining in April 2011.
The school was able to purchase the freehold of Foremarke Hall in 1967 with its 40 acres of land and three cottages. From 1968 new buildings were erected, the school began to take day pupils and became co-educational. The school continued to grow through the years. And in 2103 Foremarke’s flagship development project, The Quad, was completed providing space for several departments. A remarkable Art and Design and Technology Centre completed the development.